Disneyland is expanding the Lunar New Year celebration at California Adventure to 24 days.
The event will run from Jan. 26 to Feb. 18, 2018. The Lunar New Year, traditionally celebrated within Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, commemorates the moment when both the sun and the moon begin their journey for another year.
Highlights from the event will include:
• Pluto greeting guests during the “Year of the Dog” Lunar New Year celebration, along with pals Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and Chip ‘n Dale, all dressed in their Lunar New Year attire.
• “Hurry Home—Lunar New Year Celebration,” the water show at Paradise Bay prior to “World of Color” tells the tale of a little lantern’s quest to reunite with family for the annual celebration of good luck and fortune. Mulan and Mushu become a part of the lantern’s journey.
• “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession,” a celebration hosted by Mulan and Mushu that honors Lunar New Year and celebrates family and friendship. Goofy joins the fun this year by spreading happiness to all in his celebratory “god of Good Fortune” attire.
• Three Asian marketplaces located near the Golden Zephyr attraction will offer foods inspired by Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures.
Live, daily performances and entertainment will include:
• The Gugu Drum Group from Shanghai, China, is a high-energy troupe of drummers, storytellers and athletes who perform authentic movements and ancient percussive rhythms to bring timeless Chinese proverbs, fables and fairy tales to life at Paradise Park.
• Vietnamese artist Dat Nguyen plays traditional and original compositions on classical guitar, lute, flute and melodica at Paradise Garden Bandstand.
• Korean musician Luna Lee plays the gayageum, an ancient Korean string instrument at Paradise Garden Bandstand.
• Additional local performers including Korean drummers, Vietnamese hat dancers, Vietnamese flower dancers, and Korean fan dancers perform daily.
• An area for guests to try their hand at arts and crafts with local artisans, including Chinese calligraphy, paper lantern making and complimentary face painting.
• A Lucky Wishing Wall, where guests may add their own wishes for a wonderful future.