This December brings the return of a couple of events to Disney World, the end to two shows that have been around for nearly a couple of decades, the possible opening of a new themed restaurant and Star Wars events.
Here’s a look at seven big things happening at Disney World:
1. The FerryTale Fireworks dessert cruises return. Disney World is brings back the FerryTale Fireworks dessert cruise this December and January. You can get on a ferry boat at the Magic Kingdom and head into the Seven Seas Lagoon to see the fireworks. The cruises are being offered Dec. 1, 3, 8, 10 and 15, 2017. And Jan. 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26, and 28, 2018.
2. Star Wars: Galactic Nights: For one night on Dec. 16, from 7 p.m. to midnight, Hollywood Studios turns into Star Wars towns. The separate ticketed event, features, celebrities, a panel focusing on the new Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and a special transformation of the The Hollywood Tower Hotel into a showcase of locations from the Star Wars galaxy. The price tag is $129 per ticket.
3. Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire by ILMxLAB and The VOID openS at Disney Springs on Dec. 16. This hyper-reality experience brings guests into the Star Wars universe, walking freely and untethered throughout the multisensory experience with friends and family. In groups of four, teams will go undercover as stormtroopers to capture Imperial intelligence vital to the budding rebellion’s survival.
4. La Nouba by Cirque de Soleil ends its run at Disney Springs on Dec. 31. The show premiered in late 1998 and has had more than 8,500 performances and has been seen by more than 10 million guests. A new show will likely be announced next year. Tickets are still available here.
5. The Edison opens (maybe) at Disney Springs. No specific date has yet been announced for this large themed restaurant-entertainment venue. But there is some thought it could be this month or more likely Jan. 1, 2018. Either way, there is going to be some special previews, so there may be a soft opening in December. The industrial complex venue will have numerous rooms with actors, including the The Tesla Lounge, The Radio Room, and the Telegraph Lounge.
6. The Candlelight Processional at Epcot is in full swing. This is an annual tradition at Disney World featuring the retelling of the Christmas story by a celebrity narrator, accompanied by a 50-piece orchestra and a large choir. It is held at the America Gardens Theatre outside the American Pavilion at Epcot. Here’s the list of narrators:
Dec. 1-3: Whoopi Goldberg
Dec. 4-5: Pat Sajak –
Dec. 6-8: Jodi Benson
Dec. 9-11: Kurt Russell
Dec. 12-14: Warwick Davis
Dec. 15-17: Trace Adkins
Dec. 18-21: Neil Patrick Harris
Dec. 22-24: CCH Pounder
Dec. 25-27: Jaci Velasquez
Dec. 28-30: Chandra Wilson
7. The end of Flights of Wonder at Animal Kingdom. While there has been no official announcement made by Disney, cast members are saying that Dec. 31 will be the last day for the show. In addition, there are no shows listed on the park website for after Dec. 31. Flights of Wonder has been around since the park first opened nearly 20 years ago. The Caravan Stage, where the show takes place has undergone a number of renovations over the years and is one of our favorite attractions.