Disney unveiled some of its plans for Disneyland’s 60th anniversary celebration.
The highlights include:
- The celebration will officially begin May 22, 2015 with a new World of Color Show called Celebrate at California Adventure. Mickey Mouse host the new presentation. Mickey will take guests on a journey through the imagination of Walt Disney, exploring his decades-long legacy of animated moments and the dream of Disneyland Park.
- Carthay Circle at California Adventure and Sleeping Beauty Castle will be dressed up with special Diamond overlays in honor of the Diamond Celebration.
- A Paint the Night Parade (similar to the one in Japan) will begin May 22 at nights at Disneyland. The parade has more more than 1.5 million LED lights that flash and glow as they bring Disney stories to life. Part of the parade includes Mickey Mouse and characters from “Monsters, Inc.,” “Cars,” “The Little Mermaid,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Toy Story” and “Frozen.”
- A new fireworks show called Disneyland Forever will use the entire park as its canvas. It will also have a new song by Disney Legend Richard Sherman. This fireworks will have the largest installation of projection mapping technology in a Disney park and special effects. The fireworks will transport guests to worlds, including a dance with King Louie from the “The Jungle Book” and a flight over London with characters from “Peter Pan.” Showing just how magical the Magic Kingdom can be, the fireworks “stage” will extend to Main Street, U.S.A., “it’s a small world,” Rivers of America and the Matterhorn as projections transform familiar park icons into stunning story scenes. Two original songs also will be featured, the theme “Live the Magic,” and the inspiring closing song “Kiss Goodnight,” written by Sherman.
|© Disney Enterprises|
The announcement came during a special evening at the theme park with a special Frozen celebration.
Nearly 700 million guests have visited the Disneyland Resort since it opened on July 17, 1955.
- Mickey Mouse ear hats are the most popular Disneyland Resort souvenirs of all time, with more than 84 million “ears” sold since 1955.
- Disneyland created the first daily operating monorail in the Western Hemisphere. It opened June 14, 1959.
- Thirty-eight different languages are spoken among Disneyland Resort cast members.
- More than 800 species of plants indigenous to 40 nations grow at the Disneyland with 18,000 trees and 22 topiary animals and characters.
- Disneyland Resort serves more than 6,500 food items.
- There are more than 1,200 different costumes at the park.
- The longest-serving cast member is Oscar Martinez, who started in December 1956. He works at Carnation Café.